Access Receives Cyber Essentials Certificate
We recently attained our Cyber Essentials Certificate. The government-backed, industry supported, scheme helps organisations protect themselves against common cyber attacks. It is believed that, when implemented correctly, the scheme can prevent around 80% of cyber attacks.
The scheme addresses five key areas of security:
- Boundary firewalls and internet gateways are utilised to provide protection when connecting to the Internet. Firewalls prevent attempts by attackers to access a system as well as monitoring network traffic; identifying and blocking potentially dangerous visitors.
- When building computers and networks, secure configuration reduces unnecessary cyber vulnerabilities.
- Access control is used to ensure only necessary individuals have special access privileges such as administrative accounts.
- Malware protection ensures computers and networks are protected against malware attacks (including viruses, worms, spyware and ransomware).
- Software is kept up-to-date under a system of patch management ensuring the continued ability to withstand low-level cyber attacks
We strongly believe that cyber is already a risk for most organisations and will become an even greater risk in the next few years. We encourage all of our clients to look into and complete the Government’s Cyber Essentials Scheme. Once you’ve been accredited you may wish to consider putting cyber insurance in place.